My iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil

I have been trying to use the Apple Pencil in my class, and think of some creative ways it can be useful. I started testing it out with our projector. So, one day my class is a little unfocused and needs something to calm their bodies but stimulate the mind. I start a directed drawing with the class. I use chart paper for them to see and a good old Sharpie. When I had the outline finished, we all used pencil crayons to make it even better.
Ms J's
The downside to chart paper, I have realized more and more this year, I am always blocking the paper and I turn my back to the class. While Sharpies are a teacher's best friend, I could not make changes if my drawing went astray.

Well, one day I decided to use the iPad and Apple Pencil to  create a chart with my class. It was pretty nice, I sat with them, my body was turned to them, and they could see everything I write one the board. I did feel odd that my head was looking down at the screen, but I was still more engaged with the class than if my back was turned.

Next, I started a new directed drawing with the class and I used my Apple Pencil. It is nice that technology allows my pencil to write just like a pencil and when I change my colours, well I now have pencil crayons. I did not use any fancy apps, just Apple's standard Notes. I do believe that my version and, more importantly, my classes pictures turned out pretty great.

There are a few kinks. I would like the screen to be bigger! Yes, chart paper has a nice width to it. I also need a permanent way to display my electronic notes and anchor charts in the classroom. We need a large print and in colour, both are not readily available. Also, looking at my printing, it is not teacher printing worthy. I am sure a little practice with find my printing a little neater.
 Anyways, judge for yourselves.

Comments