SetBC Synergy Project Communication Final Report

This year my class had the privilege of gaining access to 5 iPads, a Padcaster suite, and the apps Explain Everything and DoInk from SetBC. I started the year with a creative writing goal for my grade 2/3s. We would plan, write, illustrate or film, and publish our original short stories. My hope was that students would have a chance to experience writing in a new way.

In October, after I had gotten to know my students and see the technology, I realized that my goal would have to adapt. With a very active 2/3 class and only 5 student iPads, I realized that creating films of our short stories would be too much for us. So our project was adapted into making short story picture books. We would use DoInk green screen app and Explain Everything.

I soon made another adjustment to our project, as I realize we would not be able to do this alone. Our grade 6 big buddy class was enlisted to help us navigate all the technology. The grade 6 students already had access to iPads provided by the district for the Curriculum Writing and Technology program. The grade 6 students had more time and experience with some of the apps and were able to sit with one or two buddies to help guide them through the steps.

Listening Centre with Epic! Boooks
We kicked off the use of our technology with Epic! Books for our listening station. Students learned the basic expectations of the iPads and were able to engage in books at their interest level. After this, the beginning of our app exposure was through open ended activities with their big buddies. Students started on Explain Everything with their buddies to show them some of their features. My students also use Explain Everything for a Science assessment.

At Christmas, we started to use the green screen and DoInk. We created postcards. At first, I took students pictures in front of the green screen. Then my students found their picture and background photo on the Google Drive, via a QR code. After I had students take a selfie in front of the green screen. The selfie postcards turned our very well and the class got to explore the order the pictures go on DoInk, sizing their selfie, and the trials of shadows and wearing green.

After Spring Break, my class started planning and writing their stories. It took us three weeks to plan and write them. At the end of the third week, our trusty big buddies returned to help us edit our drafts and plan they kind of pictures they wanted to create with the green screen and clay. At this point, I decided to give the older students a choice on the final app the little buddies' stories would be published on. We suggested they use Book Creator or Explain Everything to compile the story with the illustrations and to choose the app they were most comfortable using. All of the students chose to use Book Creator.

The most successful part of this project was not the use of the technology but how the older and younger students worked together. I was very impressed with the patience that many of the older students had with my 2/3s. They worked together for 3 sessions and were very focused on creating their pictures. The some of the completed stories that were turned in were very well done. Students that struggled with the writing put together good illustrations. On the flip side, some of my more skilled writers did not have as impressive pictures. Follow the link to see some samples of completed stories.
Inside a students completed story
One of our biggest challenges was to effectively use the 5 iPads with my 2/3s. My class had a difficult time watching the instructions on the projector long enough to learn how to do the task independently. Instead, we often had to have other activities going at the same time. Usually during some of our centre activities, my class could learn something new on the iPad. Our big buddies were very helpful in teaching the whole class to use a specific app or feature.

Another challenge I encountered, was in the creative writing process. I had not wanted to limit my students ideas in their writing, so I did not give the students a genre to write in. We focused on the important elements of a story instead. However, this seemed too broad for some of my students, particularly my students who struggle to focus on one task. Next year, I think I would want to try giving my class a genre to write in, such as a fairy tale or a mystery.

I create two graphic organizers to help my students plan can write their first drafts. These organizers helped to plan the important elements of a story, such as characters, setting, and problem/solution; and the sequence of a story, like the beginning, middle, and end. This structure did help students write their stories in a logical order and think about how a story ends but it did not help the students when they wanted to insert pictures. Next time, I would create a storyboard template so that my class has a better idea on how to plan their story with the illustrations that go with it.

My class really enjoyed using this new equipment. One of their favourite times was to some free time in front of the Padcaster with the microphone. They loved to talk in front of the camera. Some students like to be the director and others really like shouting "Quiet on Set!"

Comments